New Bloomfield Area Historical Society

In the 1884 History of Callaway County, New Bloom-field was listed as "a station on the Missouri Division of the Chicago and Alton Railroad, twelve miles southwest of Fulton. It was laid out in 1836 by Enoch Murry...population 100." In 1983, New Bloomfield is now approximately ten miles southwest of Fulton with the new State Highway 54 cutting down on the distance, and ten miles north of Jefferson City. Population is now 519.

In the 100 years between, New Bloomfield has merged with the town of Ellerslie, the railroad was abandoned and the track removed in the early 1930's. The depot was moved to the east end of town and is still in use as a duplex, owned by T. N. Dozier and wife. A city park, with shelter house, tennis court, basketball court, and picnic area, now occupy the railroad right-of-way. The New Bloomfield Rural Fire Association, Inc. was formed on November 23, 1976, witK. David W. West as president, and the fire house is also on the park property.

Railroad Street, now Chestnut, New Bloomfield, c. 1912, courtesy Trenton Boyd. Businesses now consist of Don's Market, owned by Don and Louise Trammel; Bill's Service, owned by Bill Bennett; Thomas Hardware and Feed Store, owned by Herbert and Orthelia Thomas; Midway Liquor and Quick Shop, owned by Lawrence Luebbering; B & B Beauty Shop, owned by Bernice Smith; Used Furniture and Stuff, owned by Otto and Ruth Trachsel; and Claypool-Debo Funeral Home, owned by Robert Debo. In the 1915 Pocket Directory, New Bloomfield the town had 500 inhabitants and boasted of being "the home of some of the biggest and most successful stock raisers and feeders in the state and produces more big Missouri mules than any section of the county. The town is noted for its pretty homes and the hospitality of its inhabitants. It is a town of schools and churches, of good law abiding people and is one of the most desirable residential, small towns." The businesses listed then were: Home Bakery; The Lemon Restaurant; Hotel Meng (rates $1.25 per day); Meat Market; Livery Feed and Sale Stable; Bank of New Bloomfield; a Lodge Directory; Harness and Saddle Shop (also shoe repair); Hardware Store; General Blacksmithing and Repair Work; Illinois Oil Company; B. W. Boyd Ice, Meat and Country Produce; Grain and Feed Store; Real Estate and Insurance Company; H. D. Brown, druggist; G. E. Kyger Auctioneer; A. P. Holt Real Estate, Loans and Insurance; Palace Restaurant; and Clatterbuck and Wilson Real Estate Exchange.

The first post office in New Bloomfield area in 1828 was listed as Round Prairie with James Henderson as postmaster, according to the U.S. Postal Directory. New Bloomfield, with James D. McGary, postmaster, was listed in 1842 and stated the name was changed, June 16, 1841. Whether New Bloomfield was previously called Round Prairie is not clear. The present postoffice building was dedicated October 29, 1961, with Arthur Williams as postmaster. At present F. Martin Bryan is postmaster.

According to the New Bloomfield News dated April 22, 1904, long-distance telephone service was available to the people. On November 8, 1962, Mid-State Telephone Company constructed a new underground dial telephone service in the area, and it was later bought by United Telephone, and in 1983 direct dial service nation-wide was available.

The town was incorporated on February 21, 1959, with Edith McClellan as mayor. Other council members were Churchill Pearre, Leon Gathright, Herbert Thomas and Thomas Nelson Dozier. Bernice Howell was city clerk and Glen Troyer was treasurer. After the incorporation, a city water system was completed on July 26, 1962. The city sewage system was later installed on September 9, 1977. Asphalt streets, street lights, and street markers also updated the town.

Although during the years New Bloomfield has had several banking facilities, the last one merged, April 1931, with a Fulton bank. For forty-two years the town was without banking service. The grand opening of the present First National Bank of Callaway County, New Bloomfield was held, June 3, 1973, with Mike Backer as manager. Today, Larry Underbill is bank manager.

New Bloomfield is now the location of a Baptist, Christian and a Methodist Church. The Presbyterian Church dissolution took place on April 12, 1921. The New Bloomfield R-III School is located in the city. It contains a four year high school and elementary grade school. A school has been located in the town since September 2, 1867.

The oldest organization in town is the Masonic Lodge *60 AF & AM. The charter was granted May 25, 1854. The Order of the Eastern Star was granted a charter on September 21, 1917, and both still remain active.

The Lion's Club was organized on September 5, 1950, with Felix Lynes as president. Melvin Jones, founder of Lionism, spoke and presented the charter to the organization. Bob Wilderman is now president and Carson W. Boyd and Martin Bryan are the only charter members remaining with continuous service. A Lion's Club Horse Show and barbecue is an annual event in June. At one time, from 1908 to 1915, the Callaway County Fair was held in New Bloomfield. A permanent fair ground was located in the west part of town. It included a grandstand and three large barns that were erected on 15 acres of land from the Ewing Guthrie farm.

Meadow Lake Acres Country Club is located one mile south of the city limits and offers an 18 hole golf course, club house, swimming pool, and tennis courts to the members. The golf course opened in the spring of 1961.

The 1915 Business Directory statement that New Bloomfield was "a town of schools and churches, of good law abiding people and one of the most desirable residential, small towns in the state" is still applicable in 1983.